Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Visit to Wynwood Art District, Miami, Florida

I love Miami and I find a way to go whenever I get a chance.  Last year Karen and I visited for the Miami Beach Antiques Show, which was, and is fabulous.  It's coming up again at the end of January and I highly recommend it for anyone that loves antiques and art.  It's a very high end show featuring rare finds from Renaissance to Art Deco. 

This year I finally made it for Art Basel, a huge international art show that occurs in Miami Beach, Hong Kong and Basel, Switzerland every year, with hundreds of galleries showing the work of great masters of modern and contemporary work as well as the latest generation of emerging stars in every medium.  It was also amazing!  I was overwhelmed with all the fabulous art that I saw.  You can see some of it here.  

While visiting for Art Basel, people kept asking me if I'd been to Wynwood.  I sheepishly said "not yet" as I didn't want to admit that I had never heard of this place that obviously everyone else knew about!  Well we learn something new every day, so I rented a car to make my way from South Beach over to Wynwood to see what the fuss was all about.  Wow!  I was once again kind of overwhelmed with the fabulous street art that I found in this once run down warehouse district.  The late Tony Goldman had an idea in 2009 that all these warehouses with no windows would be fabulous canvases for the greatest collection of street art ever seen in one place.  Since 2009 the project has seen over 50 artists from 16 countries represented and has become a must see destination in Miami where the streets are lined with galleries and cafe's.  One man with an idea can really make a difference!  I left inspired and hope you will be too.  There are several websites dedicated to the art district of Wynwood where you can learn more about the artists and the project. 
 















 















No comments:

Post a Comment